- 12/09: Class Summaries: In the class summaries for the classes on material in the first 3 tests, I have added a red bullet next to each topic that might be on the final.
- 12/06: Extra Credit, modified 12/08: For extra credit, answer all questions (multiple-choice and short-answer) on the posted practice final from the Spring 2013 semester, and submit the answers by 6:30 pm on Monday, December 9th. Answers may be submitted either on paper or by email, but (i) They must be accompanied by the statement "On my honor, I pledge that I have neither given nor received any unauthorized help on the answers to this extra credit practice test"; and (ii) Because I will go over the answers during the review session, the deadline is firm–no exceptions. Full credit will be given even if not all answers are correct.
- 12/02: Homework Assignment #7: The
7th homework assignment due this Friday, December 6th. Again, pay attention to the rules!
- 12/02: Review Session, modified 12/06: The review session for the final exam will be on Monday, December 9th, at 6:30 pm. We will meet in the Lewis Hall hallway outside room 101 (but the review session will not be in that room).
- 11/18: Homework Assignment #6: The 6th homework assignment will be due on Friday, November 22nd. Pay attention to the rules, because there have been some changes!
- 11/15: Review Session: The review session for Test 3 will be on Tuesday, November 19th, at 7:00 pm in our usual lecture room, Lewis 101.
- 11/11: Homework Assignment #5: The 5th homework assignment will be due on Friday, November 15th.
- 11/04: Observation Today: Today's announced observations (solar observation in the afternoon at 2:30-3:30 and stellar observation this evening) are cancelled due to cloudy weather. New dates will be announced in class.
- 10/30: Homework Assignment #4: The 4th homework assignment will be due on Monday, November 4th.
- 10/18: Homework Assignment #3: The 3rd homework assignment will be due on Wednesday, October 23.
- 10/14: Midterm Grades: The midterm grades I am planning to submit later today are now posted in the grades page of this website. Overall course averages are calculated assigning equal weights to in-class questions, homework, and Test 1 (except for students who did not submit homework #1, for whom the homework was given less weight). Some students who did well in Test 1 got a higher letter grade than the one corresponding to their overall average.
- 10/07: Homework Assignment #2: The 2nd homework assignment will be due on Friday, October 11.
- 09/20: Homework Assignment #1: The first homework assignment will be due on Monday, September 23 (not today, Friday, as originally stated in class).
- ID Scanners:
The ID scanners have now been enabled for all classes (including Fridays). Remember to bring your ID to class!
- Top Hat: Starting Monday, September 9th, I will hold all students responsible for having a Top Hat account and using it to submit responses to questions I ask in class.
- Top Hat: The Top Hat website should have sent an email to all students currently enrolled in the course (or on the waiting list) inviting them to enroll in the Top Hat service. Please follow the instructions in that email if you will be in the course for the semester, since using Top Hat is one of the requirements. If you need help with how to register, see this PowerPoint file.
- Observations: The reason why two lectures every week are held in the evening is that this will allow us to go outside and do observations with telescopes several times during the semester, on dates to be determined based on weather conditions. Those
observations are required. In addition to those, we may have some extra credit observations outside regular
class time, which will be announced in advance.
- Syllabus: I will go over the syllabus on the first day of class.
After that day, students (including those who register for the course after the first day
of classes) will be responsible for knowing what the course policies are.