Today's Topics: Finish Ch. 5 (lecture notes):
What kinds of radiation do we get
from space here on Earth?
• Types of designs: Refracting and reflecting (Newton).
• Performance: What to do about angular resolution.
• Performance: See Orion with good light gathering.
• Location: High places (1, 2, and space!), few lights.
• Technology: Adaptive optics, interferometry.
Detect all types of waves and particles that we can get!
• Different wavelengths: Radio telescopes.
• Other types: Different kinds of particle detectors, gravitational wave detectors.
• Other people: The role of amateur astronomers.
Study aid: Today's class summary.