Review Checklist - Sample Questions
General and Exploration
- How large is the Moon compared to the Earth?
- How far is the Moon from the Earth? Is the
distance always the same?
- How fast does the Moon rotate?
- What does the surface of the Moon look like?
- Is any active spacecraft from Earth on or
orbiting the Moon now?
- If you were standing on the Moon, how would
you see the Earth? (Size, location, illumination)
Surface and Atmosphere
- What are the "maria" on the Moon?
- How were the "maria" formed on
- Why are there more "maria" on the
near side than the far side of the Moon?
- Why do we think that the "maria"
are younger than the highlands on the Moon?
- Are features like craters on the Moon being
- Why is the average rate of erosion on the
Moon far less than on Earth?
- What kind of atmosphere does the Moon have?
- Why does the Moon undergo extremes in temperature?
- Why doesn't the Moon have an atmosphere?
- How does the dark side of the Moon differ
from the one we see?
- Do we have evidence of water on the Moon?
Formation and Evolution
- How old do we think the Moon is?
- How do we think the Moon was formed?
- Do we have any evidence that life ever developed
on the Moon?
- Why don't we believe in the capture theory
for the Moon?
page by luca bombelli <bombelli at olemiss.edu>,
modified 29 sep 2012