Review Checklist - Sample Questions
General and Exploration
- Where did Mercury get its name from?
- What are the best times for viewing Mercury
- Why can Mercury be seen only right before
dawn or after sunset?
- Why don't we ever see Mercury directly overhead
- How big is Mercury, in terms of Earth radii?
- How fast does Mercury rotate?
- Why does Mercury rotate three times on its
axis for every two revolutions around the Sun?
- Is Mercury more similar to the Earth, the
Moon, Venus, or Mars?
- To what extent have we explored Mercury?
Surface and Atmosphere
- Which object in the solar system has a surface
that most resembles that of Mercury?
- What are the differences/similarities between
the Moon and Mercury?
- What does the surface of Mercury look like?
- How can we explain the unusual cliffs or
scarps on Mercury?
- What is a special feature of Mercury's surface?
- What kind of atmosphere does Mercury have?
- Why does Mercury undergo extremes in temperature?
- Why doesn't Mercury have an atmosphere?
- Where is there a possibility for water ice
to exist on Mercury?
- How many moons does Mercury have?
page by luca bombelli <bombelli at olemiss.edu>,
modified 29 sep 2012