Review Checklist - Sample Questions
General and Exploration
- Where did the planet Mars get its name from?
- How far is Mars from the Sun?
- How large is Mars, in terms of Earth sizes?
- Does Mars have seasons like Earth? What are
they due to?
- How long is a day on Mars?
- Are there active spacecraft from Earth currently
on or around Mars?
- Which spacecraft are currently orbiting Mars
and mapping its surface?
- Why have we been sending spacecraft to Mars
roughly every two years?
- How many moons does Mars have?
- How large are Mars' moons? Why aren't they
round like ours?
- What is the origin of Mars' moons?
Surface and Atmosphere
- What does the surface of Mars look like?
- Why is the surface of Mars red?
- How can we estimate the age of a planet's
surface using spacecraft photos?
- Does Mars have (active) volcanoes?
- How do the Valles Marineris and Olympus Mons
compare to Earth features?
- Which of the terrestrial planets has the
highest known volcanoes?
- How can a smaller planet like Mars have taller
volcanoes than the Earth?
- What is the difference between the North
and South hemispheres on Mars?
- How can we compare the ages of different
parts of a planet's surface?
- Is there, or has there been, water on Mars?
- What kind of atmosphere does Mars have?
- Why couldn't you breathe on Mars?
- What are the canals on Mars?
- What did Schiaparelli and Lowell think they
saw on the surface of Mars?
- What is the current opinion on the meteorites
- Have we proved or disproved that life exists/existed
page by luca bombelli <bombelli at olemiss.edu>,
modified 29 sep 2012