Review Checklist - Sample Questions
Formation of the
- How do we think the solar system formed?
- How many stars are in our solar system?
- Is our theory of solar system formation evolutionary
- Why are all planets orbiting the Sun approximately
in the same plane?
- Why are all planets orbiting the Sun in the
- Why is the core of the Sun hot?
- What is a protostar? When can we say that
it has turned into a star?
- What is a planetesimal?
- What is a protoplanet? What turns it into
- What does "differentiation" mean
in the solar system?
- What happens during the process of condensation?
- What happens during the process of fragmentation?
- What happens during the process of accretion?
- Why don't the terrestrial planets have as
much hydrogen and helium as everyone else?
- Why are the inner solar system planets so
different from the outer ones?
- Why did Venus and Mars evolve differently
- Where do we think that the water on Earth
- What role did the solar wind play in the
early solar system?
- When did the solar system form? How do we
- How do we know that other stars had existed
before the Sun formed?
- What kind of telescope would you use to look
for star-forming regions in space?
page by luca bombelli <bombelli at olemiss.edu>,
modified 29 sep 2012