Review Checklist - Sample Questions
- How far is the Earth from the Sun?
- How large is the Earth's radius?
- How old are the oldest rocks on Earth dated
- What information does the Earth's average
density give us?
- How do we find out the structure and density
of the Earth's core and mantle?
- If there were no Earthquakes, would it make
a difference to our knowledge of the Earth's interior?
- What does the fact that a planet's core is
made of heavier materials than its crust tell us?
- Why is the hotter, inner core of the Earth
solid, while the outer core is molten?
- How thick is the Earth's lithosphere/crust?
- What are continental drift, volcanoes, and
earthquakes due to?
- Does the Earth's surface have large impact
- What are tides in the Earth's oceans due
- Does the Earth's crust have tides, or only
- How often are tides observed at a seashore
- Are all tides at coastal locations on the
Earth equally high?
- Do tides on Earth have any effect on its
- What is the Earth's atmosphere mostly made
- Which types of waves can penetrate the Earth's
- What effect does the Earth's atmosphere have
on the Earth's temperature?
- What is the sunlight energy absorbed by the
Earth mostly reemitted as?
- What is convection?
- What traps the charged particles from the
solar wind far from Earth's surface?
- What protects the Earth's surface from radiation/charged
- What is an aurora (Northern Lights) due to?
- What are the Van Allen belts?
page by luca bombelli <bombelli at olemiss.edu>,
modified 29 sep 2012