Review Checklist - Sample Questions
Laws of Motion and
Laws of Motion
- Why is Newton important in the history of
- How does a body move if no force is acting
- When two objects of different mass collide,
is their motion equally affected?
- How does a rocket manage to lift off from
- Why does an airplane need an engine to keep
flying, but the Moon stays up without one?
- When a ball falls toward the Earth because
of gravity, does the Earth also feel attracted toward the ball?
Mass and Weight
- What is the difference between mass and weight?
- Are astronauts in an orbiting space shuttle
subject to the Earth's gravity?
- What happens to the mass and weight of astronauts
in space orbiting the Earth?
- Why do astronauts seem to float in space
when orbiting the Earth?
Newton's Law of Gravity
- Is the weight of a baseball the same kind
of force that attracts the Moon to the Earth?
- Is the Sun's motion affected by a gravitational
pull from the Earth?
- How does the gravitational force between
two bodies depend on their distance? On their masses?
- According to Newton's law
of gravitation, which bodies exert a gravitational force on each
- What is the shape of the orbit of an object
under the influence of the Sun's gravity?
- Is the shape of a planet's orbit really an
- What allowed Newton to improve on Kepler's
laws on planet motion?
- Can you apply Kepler's laws to the motion
of a moon around a planet?
- Can an object feel the Sun's gravitational
pull but not orbit in an ellipse around it?
- How can you find the mass of a distant star
or a planet?
- What does the term escape velocity mean?
Consequences of Gravity
- What causes the tides along the coasts of
- Why does the Moon have a bigger effect than
the Sun on the tides on Earth?
page by luca bombelli <bombelli at olemiss.edu>,
modified 29 sep 2012