Review Checklist - Sample Questions
Light and Electromagnetic
Light and Colors
- Why does a red object look red? (3 possible
Light and Other Waves
- Does light travel in straight lines? (When
- What is the wavelength of a wave?
- What is the frequency of a wave?
- Are the wavelength, frequency, and speed
of a wave related?
- What is diffraction?
- What is interference?
- Is sound made of waves? What is the thing
that oscillates in a sound wave?
- Is light made of waves? What is the thing
that oscillates in a light wave?
- What are the similarities/differences between
sound and light?
The Electromagnetic Spectrum
- Which of the colors of light has the longest/shortest
- Which kind of electromagnetic waves have
the longest/shortest wavelength?
- What is the difference between radio waves
and light waves?
- What is the difference between red light
and blue light?
- What is the difference between sound waves
and radio waves?
- At what speed do visible light and radio
- Which types of radiation
move at 300,000 km/s?
- Which types of electromagnetic waves can
easily penetrate the atmosphere?
- If the Earth were always completely blanketed
could we get any information about other planets and stars?
- What is it that makes regular light visible
to our eyes, but not other waves?
Effects Due to Distance and
- If we were at three times our present distance
from the Sun,
how would the amount of solar energy we receive change?
- To make the Sun appear 9 times fainter than
it does now,
how would you change our distance from it?
- What is the Doppler effect?
- What can we use the Doppler effect for in
- If a source of light moves toward or away
from you, is there any change in the light you receive from it?
page by luca bombelli <bombelli at olemiss.edu>,
modified 29 sep 2012