Review Checklist - Sample Questions
- What is parallax?
- For which stars can we find the distance
- Out to what distance is parallax useful for
- How is a parsec defined?
- How big is a parsec approximately?
- Which is the nearest star to us (other than
- How far is Proxima Centauri from us?
- Can we find the distance to Alpha Centauri
- How do we measure radial motion of stars?
- What is proper motion?
- How can we measure a star's proper motion?
- Can we find the speed of a star without knowing
- Which star has the greatest proper motion,
as seen from Earth?
Brightness and Other Properties
- What is the luminosity of a star?
- What is the magnitude of a star?
- What is the difference between absolute and
- Which is the brightest star in the sky (other
than the Sun)?
- How can we find out the temperature of a
- How can we find out the size of a star?
- What can we measure without knowing the distance
to a star?
page by luca bombelli <bombelli at olemiss.edu>,
modified 29 sep 2012