Review Checklist - Sample Questions
- In what places would you expect stars to
- What causes the collapse of an interstellar
- What factors oppose the collapse of an interstellar
- Are most stars formed in grups/clusters,
or as isolated objects?
- Why are most stars formed in grups or clusters?
- How large are the clouds that collapse to
form stars, initially?
- Could a cloud in the Earth's atmosphere collapse
and form a star?
- Can star formation be affected by other nearby
- What effect can a shock wave in interstellar
Stages and Related Concepts
- What is a protostar?
- When can a collapsed cloud fragment be called
- What is the minimal temperature for nuclear
energy production inside a star?
- How long does it take for a star like the
Sun to reach the Main Sequence?
- What halts the collapse of a protostar?
- What is a brown dwarf?
- Why are there no stars with a mass smaller
than 0.08 solar masses?
- How massive are the largest stars?
- What kinds of stars are the most common ones?
- Do we expect brown dwarfs to be common?
- After a star is formed, is there any matter
left over in the cloud fragment?
page by luca bombelli <bombelli at olemiss.edu>,
modified 29 sep 2012