Review Checklist - Sample Questions
The HR Diagram
- What is the Hertzsprung-Russell (HR) diagram?
- What is the spectral class/type of a star?
- What is the luminosity class of a star?
- Which is hotter, a B2 star or a G3 star?
A B5 star or a K2 star?
- What is the main sequence?
- What kind of star is Betelgeuse / Rigel /
the Sun / Sirius / Sirius B?
- Sirius is an A1V star: What information does
this give us about it?
- What kind of star is more common in our neighborhood?
- Is a main sequence O2 star more or less massive
than the Sun?
- How would you find the distance to a star
that is roughly 2,000 light years away?
- How can we use a star's spectrum to find
its distance from us?
- What is spectroscopic parallax?
- For which stars can we use their spectrum
to find their distance?
- Which stars live longer (spend more time
on the MS)?
- Does a main sequence O2 star live a longer
or shorter time than the Sun?
page by luca bombelli <bombelli at olemiss.edu>,
modified 29 sep 2012