Classes are on M W F 9:00-9:50 in Lewis Room 226
- 08/24/2009 - Structure and properties of Maxwell equations. Solution of
Maxwell equations for electrostatics. Potential. Poisson equation. Definition of Dirac delta
function.[Jackson Sects. 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5, 1.7].
- 08/26/2009 - Properties of Dirac delta function. Green's function of the Laplacian operator.
More on Poisson equation.
- 08/28/2009 - Integral form of Gauss' law. Electric field across a boundary. Potential energy. Capacitance.
[Jackson Sects. 1.3, 1.7, 1.11].
- 08/31/2009 - Dipole layer. Green's theorem. Boundary-value problem, Dirichlet and
Neumann boundary conditions. [Jackson Sects. 1.6, 1.8-1.10].
- 09/02/2009 - More on Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions. Green's function for the plane.
Solutions of two-dimensional Laplace equation vith complex functions. [Jackson Sects. 1.10].
- 09/04/2009 - Solutions of two-dimensional Laplace equation vith complex functions.Method of images. Point charge in presence of a grounded
conducting sphere. [Jackson Sects. 2.1-2.3].
- 09/11/2009 - Green's function for the sphere. Conducting sphere with hemispheres at different potentials. [Jackson 2.6-2.7].
- 09/14/2009 - Conducting sphere in an uniform electric field. Orthogonal functions and expansions. [Jackson 2.5,2,8].
- 09/16/2009 - Fourier transforms, Orthonormal polynomials. [Jackson 2.9].
- 09/18/2009 - Solutions of Laplace equation in three dimensions with series expansions. Grounded cube with one side at fixed potential.
- 09/21/2009 - Solution of two-dimensional problems with Fourrier transform. Two-dimensional potential pit. [Jackson 2.10].
- 09/23/2009 - Laplace equation in spherical coordinates. Legendre polynomials. Boundary-value problems with azimuthal symmetry.
[Jackson 2.10, 3.1].
- 09/25/2009 - Boundary-value problems with azimuthal symmetry. Circular ring of radius a. [Jackson 3.2, 3.3].
- 09/28/2009 - Series expansion of the Green's function for a point charge. Potential for a conical hole or a sharp point. Legendre
functions. Spherical harmonics. Expansion of Green's function for a single charge with spherical harmonics. [Jackson 3.3, 3.4].
- 09/30/2009 - Spherical harmonics. Expansion of Green's function for a single charge with spherical harmonics.
Green's function for the sphere with spherical harmonics. Green's function for two concentric spheres. [Jackson 3.5, 3.6, 3.9].
- 10/02/2009 - More on Green's function for two concentric spheres. Problems with spherical harmonics. [Jackson 3.9, 3.10].
- 10/05/2009 - Problems with spherical harmonics. Cylindrical coordinates. [Jackson 3.7, 3.10].
- 10/07/2009 - Boundary problems in cylindrical coordinates. [Jackson 3.8].
- 10/09/2009 - Eigenfunction expansions for Green functions. Multipole expansion: General, monopole and dipole terms.
[Jackson 3.12, 4.1].
- 10/14/2009 - Mid-term test.
- 10/14/2009 - More on multipole expansion. Quadrupole. [Jackson 4.1].
- 10/19/2009 - Field of a dipole. [Jackson 4.1].
- 10/21/2009 - Field and energy. Energy of two coupled dipoles.Macroscopic Maxwell equations. Dielectrics. [Jackson 4.2, 4.3]
- 10/22/2009 - Electric polarization. Polarization surface density. Susceptibility. Boundary conditions. [Jackson 4.3, 6.6]
- 10/23/2009 - Molecular polarization. Electrostatic energy in dielectrics. [Jackson 4.5, 4.7].
- 10/29/2009 - Simple model of polarizability. Boundary-value problems with dielectrics. [Jackson 4.4, 4.6].
- 10/30/2009 - Boundary-value problems with dielectrics (follow-up). Differential equations for magnetostatics, vector potential.
[Jackson 4.4, 5.4].
- 11/02/2009 - Biot-Savart law, Ampère law. Force on charges and straight wires. [Jackson 4.4, 5.1-5.3].
- 11/04/2009 - Circular current loop. Multipole expansion for the magnetic field. Localized current
distributions. [Jackson 5.5-5.6].
- 11/06/2009 - More on magnetic dipole field. Intrinsic magnetic moment of particles. Force and torque in external magnetic fields. Macroscopic
equations for magnetostatics.[Jackson 5.6-5.8].
- 11/09/2009 - More on macroscopic equations for magnetostatics. Boundary conditions for B and H. Boundary-value problems in magnetostatics.
[Jackson 5.8, 5.9].
- 11/11/2009 - Energy of the magnetic field. Diamagnetic and paramagnetic materials. Curie law. [Jackson 5.8, 5.11, 5.16]
- 11/12/2009 - Boundary-value problems in magnetostatics. Magnetic potential. Dielectric sphere in an external magnetic field. [Jackson 5.9, 5.10]
- 11/13/2009 - Magnetic shielding. Self and mutual inductance [Jackson 5.12, 5.17]
- 11/19/2009 - Quasi-static fields. Faraday's law. Magnetic Monopoles. [Jackson 5.15, 5.18, 6.11]
- 11/20/2009 - Class cancelled due to lack of student quorum.
- 12/02/2009 - Poynting vector. [Jackson 6.7, 6.8]
- 12/04/2009 - Final review.
- 12/09/2009 - Final exam. Download the take home part here: POSTSCRIPT PDF.