The University of Mississippi
.
UM Home | Physics Home |Astronomy Home |  
Search  
Advanced Search
Main  |  Events  |  Courses  |  Labs  |  Resources  |  Telescopes  |  Astrophotography  |  History

Telescopes at the University of Mississippi

Kennon Observatory

In the larger dome, is a refractor telescope that was purchased from the Sr. Howard Grubb Co. in 1893. It actually consists of 3 co-aligned visual and photographic telescopes; a fifteen-inch f/12 visual telescope, a nine-inch photographic telescope and a four-inch visual telescope.

Photos of the Grubb Refractor Telescope
Grubb Photo 1 Grubb Photo 3 Grubb Photo 2  

 

The smaller dome currently houses a seventeen-inch f/6.8 Plane Wave, Corrected Dall-Kirkham reflector telescope with an electronic CCD camera, the SBIG ST10 with an AO-7 adaptive optics accessory, attached to it. The current telescope mount is a Paramount ME.

Photos of the Plane Wave telescope with CCD Camera
Plane Wave Photo 4
Plane Wave Photo 6
ST10 Photo
Plane Wave Photo 7
Plane Wave Photo 5

 

Teaching Telescopes

The following telescopes are used in the teaching laboratories:

Diameter

Focal Length

Model

Type

Notes

25 inch 125 in (f/5) Obsession Dobsonian reflector  
17 inch 116 in (f/6.8) Plane Wave Corrected Dall-Kirkham reflector Computer controlled
12 inch 120 in (f/10) Meade LX200 Schmidt-Cassegrian reflector Computer controlled
8 inch 80 in (f/10) Meade LX200 Schmidt-Cassegrian reflector Computer controlled
8 inch 80 in (f/10) Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrian reflector  
7 inch 105 in (f/15) Questar Maksutov-Cassegrain reflector  
10 inch 48 in (f/4.8) Meade Starfinder Dobsonian reflector  
10 inch 56 in (f/5.6) Discovery DHQ Dobsonian reflector  
70 mm 480 mm (f/6.8) TeleVue Pronto Refractor Wide Angle

 

Original Telescopes

The five-inch refractor telescope that was originally in the smaller dome of the Kennon Observatory, was made by Murz & Son of Munich. It had been acquired by F. A. P. Barnard in about 1856 and is now a part of the Millington - Barnard Collection on display at the University Museum.

Also Barnard had ordered an 18.5-inch refractor telescope from Alvin Clark & Sons in 1856. In January, 1862, when Alvin Clark was testing the telescope he discovered Sirius B, the “white dwarf” companion of Sirius the “dog star”. However, due to the outbreak of the Civil War, it was never delivered to the University of Mississippi.